Thursday, June 17, 2010

Debbie's progress update

Today I went to pick up Debbie from the Specialty Center where she had her treatment. It has been a rough 2 days for her. One Tuesday, 6/15 she had a CT and when that was clear, she went immediately for the treatment which required her to be under anesthesia for several hours. When I talked to them in the late afternoon she was going into recovery and everything was looking good. Well, that was the start of a sleepless night. I received a call at 9:30 pm Tuesday night that she had spiked a fever of 105 and it was discovered that she had aspirated some of the liquid during her treatment while under anesthesia. I tried to get some sleep but called again at 1:30 am and she was doing better. They were able to get the fever down a little and were more optimistic. Another call at 5:30 am the next day, had her somewhat out of the woods but still running a slight fever and on IV's and oxygen. I elected to have her stay there for the day to give her a better chance for recovery. It was arranged that I call later in the day to check on her status.

I tried to keep myself occupied but made that call immediately at 4:30 to see how she was doing. It was felt that she needed monitoring for another night and it was not good for her to be taken back to our vets that closed at 7 with her being alone all night. It was arranged that I pick her up today, Thursday in the morning and transport back to the vets.

This morning I was down there waiting to see this sweet little girl. Everyone had fallen in love with her and couldn't imagine what discomfort and pain she had gone thru while still maintaining this great personality. Even after what she went thru, she greeted me with a wagging tail and patiently waited for me to take her "going home" picture. She is now back here locally at our vets and is currently looking for a foster home that can commit to the period of time it will take for her to heal and be ready for her forever home.

Please stay in touch for more updates on her progress. Thanks for your concern and support.